In the world of web hosting, there is really a single name and company that comes up with far more frequency than almost any other – HostGator.
Rock Solid Background
This is one of the best-known hosting companies in existence. Their history dates back to 2002. You can choose between shared hosting, WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, and reseller hosting. Is HostGator the right choice for you though? Read on to find out more.
One of the real giants of the web hosting and web service industry, HostGator has for years been offering people the absolute top of the line hosting and domain service for web professionals, business people, and individuals.
- Quick App Installer – You can choose form more than 75 applications. Installation is done with just a few clicks.
- Powered by cPanel – The industry’s best known control panel, cPanel brings all the goodies necessary to build and maintain a great website.
- High Standard Support – Non-stop server monitoring and live chat, phone and email support.
- Programming and Databases – PHP, MySQL, SSH access and more for the advanced users.
The Masters of Efficiency
They go the clean and minimal route with almost all of their design choices on HostGator.com, but this shouldn’t throw you off – they are masters of efficiency and have one of the best run web hosting providers you could find anywhere in the world.
I know I’m talking pretty glowingly about HostGator.com – but there is a very real and significant reason.
They are the top of the mountain (along with a couple of others) when it comes to web hosting, and one of the best solutions you could end up investing your money with.
- Get started for as little as $4.86 per month. This is actually slightly more expensive than a number of other web hosts out there, but it is still well within industry norms.
- HostGator provides a control panel which is designed for ease-of-use, and which is ideal even for beginners.
- You get 4,500 free website templates to choose from, making it easy to design your site.
- HostGator provides a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
- Scripts are easy to install with a single click.
- You get $200 in free advertising credits just for signing up.
- This is a company which offers you support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Forbes Fastest Growing Company
Boasting over 8 million domain registrations and well over 400,000 customers, once you give HostGator a try you’ll soon understand why they’ve been able to land themselves on the Forbes list of the fastest growing organizations – tapping in at 21st place. Not too shabby for a relatively new web hosting company.
Now let’s take a look at the different plan tiers available for each type of hosting.
- Hatchling Plan: Starting at $4.86 per month, going up to $10.95 per month after the promotional period ends.
- Baby Plan: Starting at $6.96 per month, renewing at $11.95 per month.
- Business Plan: Starting at $10.46 per month, renewing at $16.95 per month.
At the lowest tier you get only a single domain, but you do get unmetered bandwidth and a shared SSL certificate. If you opt for one of the top two tiers, you get unlimited domains. At the highest level, you add in a free private SSL certificate and IP address, as well as a free toll-free phone number.
Each plan comes with all 4,500 free website templates, free website building tools including Weebly Site Builder, free website transfer if you need it, and transfer for scripts and MySQL. On top of that, you are given 52 free scripts you can apply effortlessly with a click of a mouse. The shared hosting plans also include $200 in complementary advertising credits.
There are five different tiers of VPS hosting services available on HostGator. The lowest cost plan is the Snappy 500, which includes 0.5 CPU cores, 512 MB of RAM, 25 GB of disk space, 500 GB of bandwidth, and 2 IP addresses. This plan starts at just $11.97 per month, and renews at $19.95 per month.
This is less expensive than many competing plans offered by other web hosts, and represents a great deal. The highest level is the Snappy 8000, which includes 4 CPU cores, 8 GB of RAM, 240 GB of disk space, 3 TB of bandwidth, and 2 IP addresses. This plan costs $99.97 per month to start, and renews at $159.95 per month.
What is great about HostGator’s VPS plans is the fact that you have five different tiers to choose from, whereas most other companies confine you to three choices. This means that VPS hosting is flexible for any budget, and there is a package of there which should be perfect for your needs. As with the shared hosting plans, these VPS plans renew at higher rates.
If you use WordPress as your content management system, and are looking for a web host which caters directly to your needs, there are a few great options out there, and HostGator is one of them. Not all companies offer WordPress hosting specifically; a lot of them simply offer shared hosting and compatibility with WordPress. The difference here is that these services are optimized for WordPress.
There are three different levels of WordPress hosting available on HostGator:
- Starter: $5.97 per month during the promotional period.
- Standard: $9.57 per month during the promotional period.
- Business: $16.77 per month during the promotional period.
As with the other types of hosting offered by HostGator, these rates increase when it comes time to renew your plan. All plans include unlimited e-mail and storage and automated daily backups. Backups are an excellent feature, as many web hosts will charge you extra for this. The upper tiers allow you to migrate over more sites, and also provides you with better performance for higher amounts of monthly site traffic. These plans include free advertising credits as well.
The most expensive plans on HostGator are dedicated hosting plans which allow you to have a server all to yourself. You can choose from a Linux or Windows environment; either way you’ll pay the same starting rate. This is awesome since a lot of hosts will charge extra if you want to use a Windows environment. There are four tiers available starting with Basic for $105 per month, and ranging up to Pro at $225 per month. These are the plans that you want to choose if you’re running a large commercial website and need the maximum resources available to you at all times.
HostGator really is an excellent choice if you want to host a blog on WordPress. If you’re just going with the standard shared hosting, features are going to be okay. But if you go with the WordPress Starter Plan, you are going to get a ton of amazing features including a simplified control panel designed with your user experience in mind, apps and plug-ins for WordPress, speed boosting, enhanced security features (including malware protection), and premium WordPress features designed to simplify your life.
HostGator also has online shops in mind. The company recommends you to choose the Business plan to host an online store. This plan gives you a free dedicated IP address as well as a free dedicated SSL certificate. It is compatible with a number of different shopping carts and allows you to accept payments through various online gateways.
When your site is hosted by HostGator, it is protected by a customized firewall. It protects your site against DDoS attacks. If you get WordPress hosting, you can take advantage of additional advanced security features which protect your WP installation from malware.
Once you peel back the initial layer it’s easy to see why they’ve been able to enjoy so much success. HostGator prides itself on having some of the best technology in the world for its servers and equipment – and even though they are constantly upgrading and pushing the envelope hardware wise. The uptimes and levels of reliability that they are able to produce are just astounding.
Multiple Levels of Service
Not offering just a single level of hosting, HostGator.com allows you to choose the plan (and the price point) that is perfect for your unique situation.
Support with High Standards
They have incredible support teams that will literally walk you through the entire process, and I’ve even found them to be able to help when I was in way, way over my head.
Live support is one of the most important things for a web hosting company to have (especially when every second your site is down or having a problem could mean lost sales), and HostGator really pushes for the highest of standards with all of their techs and support members. That has been my experience.
HostGator backs all of its plans with a 45-day money-back guarantee. This is actually quite good, as the industry standard is 30 days. So HostGator is giving you a little extra time to make up your mind and commit to a package.
This is one area where HostGator really excels. All accounts come with free website building tools including Weebly SiteBuilder. As mentioned previously, there are numerous scripts available you can install and run with a single click.
Additionally, if you are opting for WordPress hosting, you get to use a customized control panel which has been streamlined specifically for blogging. So no matter what type of hosting you choose, and however much or little experience you have, you are in for a great experience.
Who Is HostGator Best For?
One great thing about HostGator is that it is pretty much good for everyone. HostGator offers such a wide range of plans and types of hosting that no matter your needs or your budget, you should find something to suit you. So whether you run a global commercial enterprise or tiny personal hobby site, HostGator has got you covered.
Pros of HostGator:
- There are many types of plans available, and more tiers than a lot of other companies offer, especially with VPS hosting. This means that there are flexible options for all budgets and needs.
- HostGator specializes in WordPress hosting, and offers a ton of excellent features at a very reasonable price point.
- If you are a beginner looking for ease-of-use, you’ll find it here. HostGator offers a number of simplified tools for website design and scripting.
- Features for e-commerce are also excellent, and HostGator provides you with everything you need to run an online shop and accept a variety of payment methods.
- The 45-day money-back guarantee is above and beyond the 30-day standard for the industry. You will have more time to make up your mind before you commit, and should not feel rushed in making your decision.
Cons of HostGator:
- Some of HostGator’s plans are more expensive than plans offered by competitors. The lowest tier of shared hosting is a couple dollars more per month than you will find with some of the other hosts. Thankfully, some of HostGator’s other plans are actually less expensive, like the lowest tier for VPS.
- The biggest con to mention with HostGator is the poor reports of customer service. There are simply too many to write them off as flukes. The last thing you want to be dealing with when your website is down and losing money is a company that cannot be bothered to solve your problem right away. Again, I recommend that you test out the team yourself with a few questions before you commit past the initial 45-day period.
Knock Out Web Hosting Provider
All in all, HostGator seems like a web host with a lot to offer. Aside from the unsatisfactory reports about customer service, there really is not a whole lot to complain about.
There are plenty of exciting features and extras included at every price point, and the diversity of plans offers a lot of flexibility for every budget. Whatever your needs, HostGator delivers in terms of its packages.
So if you are interested in giving them a try, just be sure to check out customer service yourself to make sure that this is a company that you will fill comfortable dealing with.
In summation, HostGator is an absolute knock out of a web hosting provider – literally one of the top few that I would recommend to anyone and everyone. If you’re looking for a web host with a rock-solid reputation, then look no further than HostGator. With cheap and scalable plans you are able to customize your own solution, and in just a couple of moments you’ll be up and running.
Latest posts by Punit Makwana (see all)
- 4 Reasons Why The Web Host You Choose Actually Matters - April 22, 2017
- 5 Simple Ways to Speed-Up Your Content Writing - April 22, 2017
- How Changing Few colors can super boost your website - April 14, 2017